Elato’s Big Why (or purpose) is to use the enjoyment of ice cream to help reduce world hunger and food waste leading to a more sustainable planet. We chose this purpose because it contributes to 5 of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals – zero hunger, quality education, responsible consumption and production, climate action and partnership for goals.
After meeting and reviewing a number of relevant local and international charities, OzHarvest stood out for us as a potential partner to help us achieve our “Big Why”.
Not only is their Founder, Ronni Kahn (pictured above) a truly inspirational leader but OzHarvest has tackled the issue of food rescue in a very smart, sustainable way both in Australia and overseas.
This is what we found most striking about OzHarvest:
- Ronni’s passion for tackling food waste, drove food laws to be changed to enable excess food to be re-used, starting in NSW in 2005;
- The organisation is so efficient that for every $1 donated to OzHarvest, two meals can be delivered to someone in need;
- OzHarvest has an impressive list of activities involving not only collection and re-distribution of food but also:
- An education program for primary school children called FEAST (Food Education and Sustainability Training)
- Cooking classes teaching vulnerable adults about eating healthy meals on a budget;
- Hospitality training for at-risk youth to help forge pathways for self-sustainability
- Consumer research to increase awareness about household food waste; and
- Constantly innovating to help tackle hunger and reduce food waste; and
- local and international advocacy and leadership to fight food waste.
- OzHarvest is committed to achieving the same five UN Sustainable Development Goals as Elato;
- Ronni has also created a social impact enterprise called ForPurposeCo, to make innovative products that can provide revenue streams to help OzHarvest achieve long term funding sustainability; and
- OzHarvest has introduced it’s unique food rescue model overseas helping to establish similar not for profits in New Zealand, South Africa and the UK.
It is a truly special organisation that we are excited to support with every tub we sell.