This recipe is one that I use to impress guests who arrive without notice. It is based on a recipe from Nigella Lawson and is made ahead of time and kept in the freezer for heating when needed. It can be made both gluten and sugar free as well as being vegan or low carb if you use ground nuts instead of flour.
Filling Ingredients per cup
100 grams frozen mixed berries per cup (not defrosted) using a 500g bag of frozen berries
2 teaspoons Panko crumbs or ground nut meal
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar or sugar with a drop of vanilla essence
Two different sets of crumble ingredients per cup
1. Standard or gluten free crumble topping
50g plain flour or gluten free flour - gluten free flour isn't great for this recipe as its quite gritty. Better to use almond or hazelnut meal or a combination instead.
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
25 gr cold butter cut into cubes
1.5 tablespoons demerara sugar/coconut/rapadura sugar or sugar-free equivalent
2. Vegan/ low carb crumble topping per cup
25g almond or hazelnut meal or a combination
25g gluten free rolled oats or replace with nut meal.
1/4teaspoon baking powder
1.5 tablespoons demerara sugar/coconut/rapadura sugar or sugar free equivalent
25g coconut oil melted
This recipe is served in individual ramekins or cappuccino cups.
- There is no need to pre-heat the oven as this recipe is going initially into the freezer.
- Make up the berry mix whilst the berries are still frozen and place each individual serve into a freezer bag.
- Mix the dry ingredients and mix in the butter cubes or melted coconut oil using your hands if you are only making a few serves. If making three or more serves, use an electric beater on low speed.
- Divide the dry mix into individual serves (75g or 1/2 a cup per serve) and also place in individual freezer bags. Place this freezer bag inside the other freezer bag with the berries, seal with a freezer bag tie, freeze and then remove from the freezer when serving.
- When serving, preheat the oven to 220 degrees C and then empty first the frozen fruit, then the frozen crumble into the cup or ramekin, place in the oven for 20 minutes on a tray and serve hot with a scoop of Elato ice cream on top.